Artifacts from 1800's unearthed on Parliament Hill

Well, at least the boozing and bad behavior has a precedent.

Starting in 1827, the area that is now Parliament Hill was called Barrack Hill, a staging ground for the British Royal Engineers to undertake the construction of the nearby Rideau Canal. It was overseen by Lt. Col. John By — for which Bytown (now Ottawa) was named. It remained a military area until 1858, when Queen Victoria designated the site the future capital.