Conservation Groups Ask Government of Canada to Classify Microbeads 'Toxic'

If I remember correctly, some good folks are looking into this very question at the Experimental Lakes Area. If so, is this request premature? Is the request based on science, or simply "because everyone else is doing it"?

Or do I have my facts wrong? That is always a possibilty too.

Once in the environment, microbeads can destroy habitat, cause fish to starve, and absorb dangerous toxic chemicals. Classifying microbeads as a “toxic substance” under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999 gives the federal government the authority to control their use, including instituting a ban on the use of microbeads in consumer products.